Fish Creek Ridge Lutheran Church
Rockland , WI
The congregation of Fish Creek Ridge Lutheran Church held its first divine service on September 24, 1863 in the community. The Rev. A.C. Preus, then serving the Coon Prairie Parish in Vernon County, ministered to the Norwegian settlers in the southwestern part of Monroe County.
On December 3, 1870 a meeting was held and it was decided to purchase a piece of ground from Bergit Reiersdatter to be used as a cemetery and church lot and plans were made to erect a church building. On February 11, 1872, the first recorded constitution was adopted and it is from this date that Fish Creek Lutheran Church has been recognized as an organized congregation.
In 1892 a new church was built on land bought from Hans Hansen. The brick structure was dedicated on September 16, 1894 and is still in use and has proved adequate to the needs of the congregation. The church has been the center point of the community and for many years the services were conducted in the Norwegian language.
We have been fortunate and very blessed and able to celebrate the 100th anniversary in 1972 and the 125th in 1997. At the time of the 125th, a new organ was installed.
Over the years different improvements have been done, such as the basement, floor, furnace, cemetery fence and a new entry. Many of these were made possible by contributions and memorial donations.
Over the years there have been very active organizations, such as the Luther League for the young people, Sunday School, a Men’s Bible Study, Ladies Mission Circles, and the Ladies Aid Group, now known as the WELCA, where the word of God is studied.
One of our greatest moments was the ordination of one of our members, Pastor Larry Olsen on October 2, 1983. His parents, Faye & Ruby Olsen and siblings have been active members for many years.
Through a restructuring of the Lutheran Church, the congregation became a member of the South Conference of the La Crosse Area Synod of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America in 1988.
The members of the church are the mainstay of the community and are truly believers in sharing their blessings. The men are always willing to help in repairs or any service to the church and the women have a active group, making quilts, school kits, sewing kits, and sending soap for world and area relief. We have been truly blessed with different pastors to serve our needs over the years. We give thanks to God and ask for his continued blessing for our church, families, and community.