Portland Lutheran Church

portland-lutheran-churchA member of the Cashton Four-Point Lutheran Parish and the La Crosse Area Synod of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America 

 

 

Located at 7526 State Highway 33, Cashton, WI, this congregation was formed in 1874 as the Portland Norwegian Lutheran Church. The first house of worship was constructed on a two-acre parcel of land donated by one of the charter members of the congregation.

 

The first service in this new building was conducted on September 6, 1874. The congregation outgrew the original structure. The last worship service in the original building was held on July 29, 1928. The building was torn down and materials salvaged from the structure (including the altar and pulpit) were used in the new building. The new house of worship was completed on December 23, 1928. The first worship service was held on Christmas Day, 1928.  The dedication program was held July 14, 1929. 

The congregation became affiliated with the American Lutheran Church and the name was changed to Portland Lutheran Church. Through a restructuring of the Lutheran Church, the congregation became a member of the South Conference of the La Crosse area Synod of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America in 1988. 

In 1991—1992 a new entry with an elevator was added to the West end of the building to improve handicap accessibility. New restrooms were installed on first floor and the basement. It was dedicated on May 24, 1992. 

Pastor: Rev. John Stennes-Spidahl 

Organists: Ruth La More, Mary Cheever 

Mail address: Portland Lutheran Church
621 Lewis Street
Cashton, WI, 54619

 

Comments are closed.