North Coon Prairie Lutheran Church
Westby , WI
The congregation of North Coon Prairie Lutheran Church was formally organized in the month of March, 1875. Norwegian immigrants living in the area around Newry and north of Cashton had been gathering under the ministry of Pastor Preus and then Pastor Halvorsen of Westby. The first church building was constructed on the land belonging to Ole Olsen Melby and hence was often called the “Melby Church”.
Pastor A. H. Eikjarud came from Norway to assist Pastor Halvorsen in 1890. In 1894 North Coon Prairie joined with three other congregations, Brush Creek, Fish Creek Ridge, and Portland to form the Cashton Four-Point Parish. Reverand Eikjarud was called to serve as the pastor. A parsonage was constructed in Cashton in 1895 on land donated by Halvor and Bendika Peterson. Pastor Eikjarud served until 1921 when he returned to Norway.
Pastor Alfred T. Nelson was called as the second pastor to serve North Coon Prairie and the Four-Point Parish. Since Pastor Nelson’s death in 1939, eight faithful and able individuals have served the parish.
A highlight in the history of North Coon Prairie was the ordination of Reverend Peter D. Peterson, son of Hilmer and Frances Peterson, on July 5th, 1964. Peter is thus far, the only member of North Coon Prairie to be called to ordained ministry.
The women of the congregation serve the Lord together raising funds and working on many projects, especially quilting, to contribute to the global mission of the Church. The men are active in service and are always ready to lend a hand for special needs that arise. In recent years, the whole congregation has worked together to develope two very popular annual fund raisers, the Chicken Q and Corn Boil in late July, and the Pancake Supper at the end of October.
We give thanks for God’s faithfulness and the light of God’s Word giving life to our congregation.